Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Post # 4: Disney


Hi, my name is Kelly and I love Disney.
I grew up watching Disney and even now as an adult I still enjoy it.  My family had almost every Disney VHS tape, and I loved to watch them with my younger sister. My favorite Disney movie is Beauty & the Beast. As a young girl I thought Belle was the best princess (Moana's my #1 now), she was kind, smart and beautiful. I remember asking my dad if I could change my name to Belle in kindergarten-my car is even named  Belle. For me, these movies are nostalgic and evoke feelings of happiness, love, and positivity. (I also loveeeeee the songs!)
I am definitely a consumer of Disney, and so are my students. My students watch Disney movies, tv shows, have Disney backpacks, and sometimes take on Disney character roles during dramatic play. I look forward to movie rewards just as much as my students do! πŸ˜›

Although I do enjoy these movies, I can definitely understand Christensen's perspective and reading this passage definitely makes me feel uneasy and almost guilty about my Disney obsession. Christensen says "our society's culture industry colonizes their[students] minds and teaches them how to act, live, and dream", this really makes me feel differently about the movies I love and enjoy. I agree that young people need to be aware of the media they consume and the implications of that media. I also agree with Christensen, in that its not enough to critically analyze media and identify injustices- students also need to understand that they have power to be change agents by sharing their analysis with others.

Frozen challenges princess culture in many ways. Traditionally female characters are searching for love and are "damsels in distress". In Frozen, Elsa is trying to understand and embrace her powers- she definitely isn't looking for love or anyone to save her. Anna goes on a journey to find her sister and bring summer back to Arendelle. The female main characters of this film are their own heroes. The villains in the film also challenge the princess culture- Hans and the Duke of Weselton are the bad guys, where traditionally a female character is the villain. And who can forget Olaf! A magical snowman who longs for the summer season. He's definitely a traditional princess sidekick.



7 comments:

  1. Great reflection Kelly, I too agree and understand Christensen's perspective on empowering students to become aware in the biases/stereotypes that are often found in Disney movies. I also respect how she allowed her students the opportunity to push back and take action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly!

    I liked your post! The pictures were great and made me smile!

    -Hayley :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hey Kelly, I am happy to read your post about liking Disney. Don't feel guilty about it; I do too! Great reflection and for you great nostalgia! It was a positive form of entertainment which began in your childhood. It's all Good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelly,

    It was my first time watching it in its entirety. The message towards the end did surprise as I thought it would be the usual happily ever after. Nice to see some changes in strong female characters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Internal groan* The GUILT! I'm with you! It's overwhelming to think about how much I love these movies and now feeling like I shouldn't! I'm glad that Christensen addresses the feelings we are feeling and pushes us towards action rather than just frustration with our consumption.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The images you used to illustrate the look when someone says they don't like Disney movies: priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelly,

    I can relate to you so much with this post. I too am a huge Disney fan and also feel kind of guilty after analyzing and reading Christensen's article. However I also agree with you saying that we need to be aware of what is going on and the implications it has on us as citizens.

    ReplyDelete

SUPER LEMON BUNDT CAKE

πŸ‹Hey Everyone!πŸ‹ mmmmmmmmmm lemon cake I wanted to share my lemon cake recipe with you since you all loved it so much! πŸ˜€ I orig...